Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Ex as the Wingman





Last night Matt wanted to meet up for a drink before he went to California for his sisters Wedding. We bellied up at the bar "Welcome to the Johnsons" which is equidistant to from both our apartments and it's like $2 bucks a drink.
As we sat at the bar we both re caped our bad dates from earlier this week.
His, a girl that basically interviewed him was on a job interview:

"Where's your family from?"

"Do you plan on being in building restoration your whole life?"

"Smoking, is this something you intend to quit soon?"

Matt had buckled under the pressure:

"Cleveland."

"Not Sure.."

"Yeah, I think so, I don't know!!!"

My date was...disappointing.
After I had met the bass player the night before at his show, things seemed promising. He was sweet, intelligent, good looking, and a great kisser (yes, yes, yes, and yeeeessss). In between kissing in the doorway, next to the bar we gave each other bits of info on each other.

"You grew up in New Mexico, that's cool...." he said, kissing me again.

"Your Italian? Oh, I can see that..." kissing his neck.


"Do you still play the drums..." His hands on my face.

"From time to time." I said before four men on the other side of the street yelled "GO FOR IT!" and "CAN WE JOIN IN!"

Kissing continued in the bar, in the cab, in the elevator, and a for a few minuets at the hotel (get your heads out of the gutter, I'm a good girl, we were only there to get his bass).

And with a kiss good night and a promise for a proper date the next day, I was...pleasantly psyched...

The next day we agreed to meet up in Brooklyn were he lives and he was going to cook me dinner. This impressed me and I looked forward to getting to know him a little bit better, and uh, not in a bar.

He meet me on the sidewalk down from the train exit. He said he was exhausted and wasn't able to cook dinner, but asked we could go to this restaurant instead.

"Of course" I said. Still looking forward to talking to him.

It was apparent during dinner that he was tired. We ended up talking business (as is the occupational hazard of a music manager going on a date with a musician) for the next 45 min and then the meal came to an end. When the check came I offered to pay for my half.

"Good! He said, "I don't get paid until next week."

Call me old fashion, but when a women that you ask to dinner, takes the train from Manhattan to Brooklyn to meet you for your date- you pay for the dinner.

We walked outside, and I fully expected to hang out a little longer, perhaps changing the conversation to more interesting matters. No such luck.

"Man, I'm realllllly tired...Let's call it a night." He said leaning in to give me a kiss and hug.

I leaned away from him. "Oh, O.K. well, good night." I said, a little stunned by the abrupt ending to the evening. I began to walk away.

"Can I at least give you a hug?" He said.

"Um, I'm o.k." As I continued to walk away, with my back toward him.

"Let me walk you to the subway..." He said, he was trying.

"You know, I've got it. Thanks, and it was nice meeting you." I walked toward the Subway, disappointed with evening.

I sat on the Q train going over the Manhattan bridge and received a call from him. He didn't understand my abrupt departure, and wondered what he had done wrong. I appreciated his call, but If he didn't have a clue now, not much hope him catching on down the road.

Matt said to me, "He didn't know what he did wrong...hilarious. Man, some guys really don't have a clue. And why did he tell you all that stuff about cheating on his girlfriend on the road...keep your mouth shut dude."

Matt and I order a second round. He saw me looking at the bartender.

"You think he's cute don't you?" Matt said.

"No, well, a little. It's no big deal, aparently I have a crush on the world these days." I said drinking my margarita.

"He probably thinks I'm your boyfriend." Matt said.

"I know! Your totally cock blocking me!!!" I said jokingly.

"Oh, my God! Cock blocking Maya is BAD! I better correct that." and with that statement, Matt stood on his bar stool and shouted, "I just want everyone to know in this bar, that Maya is NOT MY GIRLFRIEND, I repeat, NOT MY GIRLFRIEND. We are JUST FRIENDS!"

And with that, I smacked my head.

"Damn Matt, you are the worse wing man..."

Good times.

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Damn, leave it to Matt to clear you and embarass you at the same time.

Bobby said...

Bobby