Tuesday, August 01, 2006

New York...New York...And random thoughts

It's been a little over three years now since I moved to New York....it's been overwhelming...Beautiful, full of anxiety, brilliant, terrifying....Some of the most amazing moments of my life have happened here. I think that might be why I don't write anymore. Anyone who has ever known me, knows that I used to write in a journal every night...I haven't written once since I have been here...For some reason, I decided to start now, except in this form (blog)... I liked reading about Kelly Roberts' and Ama Reynolds' life so much that I thought I would try and start sharing mine..

I just moved to the West Village last night from Park Slope. West 3rd Street. My favorite pub there is Chumley's, where T.S. Eliot, Hemingway and Fitzgerald used to sit and drink...it's an old speak easy, and although the crowd is now heavy in the pocket book, it's still feels good to have a drink where there was once these brilliant men and women.

I now live next store to the Blue Note Jazz Cafe, where the late Sarah Vaughan and Dizzy Gillespie used to perform, a few paces away is the IFC theatre. As Matt and I walked down to the IFC, I saw a man that smiled at me. I waived. I thought I knew him. It was Paul Giamatti from "American Splendor." I realized I didn't really know him, I had just seen his movies. That happens all the time here.

I am surrounded by people here, but it is comfortable to me, a single person in the mass. I find myself narrating my life here (like the crazy person that I am).

Two weeks ago I was walking down 7th ave in Brooklyn, exhausted, not wanting to go to work, I was stressed out about moving into the city (excited too). I walked into the subway tunnel waiting for the Q train and a violinst begin to play. Everyone feel silent in the subway and just listened... it was so beautiful.

Sitting on the subway differs day to day for me. Sometime I have children stare at me wanting to talk to me, sometimes I see a very beautiful man and I wished that I looked better that day, sometime there is a performer that's just brilliant, but most of the time everyone looks so sad...and why not, public transportation can be very depressing!

2 comments:

kelly rae said...

oh, so happy you started this. yay! you better post often cause i'll be back everyday. i love your honest writing. you are an inspiration, my friend. i'm meeting dave,your bud,finally.i'll call and dish details later.
xxoo

Ama Livia said...

maya
the
bee!