Friday, March 30, 2007

Highlights and Highlighters


Paul had given me the script for the pilot "The Bridge" to look at over a week ago. He told me to look over the lines and that we would have our first read through in mid-April with the rest of the cast. I have been carrying the script around since then- without fully over looking mine lines. I don't know, for some reason, I have been a little apprehensive about getting back into acting. Acting was the only thing I ever really wanted to do with my life when I was a child and a teenager. I used to have a bag full of highlighters to- well- highlight my lines. It was one of my favorite parts about the process (besides the stage blocking, and costume fitting). Sitting quietly somewhere and highlighting each line while reading them silently to myself- this is what I thought I would do the rest of my life.

But right now, my life is full of meetings (about KR's tour, about "The Bridge" pilot, about me co-Producing the stage play "Bayard" by Laura Eason and Paul Stovell, about contracts, etc). I finally felt like the candle burning at both ends. I knew I wasn't getting enough sleep when I starting nodding off on the subway on the way home on a regular basis.

I decided it was time to balance a little more and allow myself more of a social life (and by that I mean, really social, not networking social, which I do all the time, but social-social).

The Friday before last I went to a, what I would call- kind of a "nightmare" club. As I waited outside for some of my friends to join me (they had a friend celebrating a birthday there) I heard the words, "Hey bra!" "What's up bra!" about hmmm, 45 times. All of them with stripped button up-shirts, slicked back hair, and chains. The hi-fives were out of control.

"Wha?! What the hell?!" I said to myself waiting on James.

James finally arrived with his entourage of beautiful women...giving me a long sorted explanation of why he was late. "Why are we here?" I asked him.

"Honey, I have know idea. You know I don't do Ghettorich, and this club is definitely Ghettorich."

Inside, we went upstairs, only for me to be surrounded by a few guys (in stripped shirts, with chains) who came up to me to talk. One was nice, still not my type, while his friend was kind of a jack-ass-sidekick. James saw that I needed to be rescued. "Not your type honey?" He said with a smile. He saw me looking at a guy in the DJ booth, behind the DJ. He has shaved head, nice lips, hoodie on. "Oh, I see, that is your type."

As James walked to the DJ booth a man named Paco came up to me and said (in third person) “Paco loves that pink dress you are wearing, Paco would like to see you in a lovely white dress, may Paco buy you a drink?”

I said “Yes, Paco my buy me a drink.”

Just then the man I was looking at in the DJ booth was talking to James, I don’t know what James said to him, but he starting walking toward me,

“Hi my name is KS, I hear you are in the music industry” he put out his hand for me to shack. Big smile, very polite.

“Yes, I am.”

“Nice, so am I.”

We talked for an hour, leaning against the wall, smiling and laughing; KS seems to be a genuinely happy person, as well as a genuine person. I was more surprised how sweet he was, especially since when I looked into the booth he knew all the words to Biggies songs and looked…well, kinda hard. He has beautiful blue grey eyes, and a great smile.

One thing I noticed though, when guys are available, they usually try to put their hand on my waist, or ask what my situation is (e.g. “do I have a boyfriend”). KS did not do that, which made me realize, one of two things- either I am not his type (nope, I know I was- because he was leaning in too close!) or he has a girlfriend…yep, that what it was.

“You’re looking a me different now.” He said after I asked him about it.

“No, I’m not.” I know how complicated things can be.

He still asked for my phone number, and as I walked away, I saw him looking at me. Hmmm...I wonder what will happen with that.

The next day I woke up and picked up my script. I grabbed my laundry, and went down Canal street trying to find a laundry mat. I walked in, asked for quarters, put the first load in and then sat down.
I opened my scripted, took out my highlighter, and highlighted my first line for the first time, in many years. It felt really good.

No comments: